- 2 Tbsp onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup of a stevia-based sweetener* (like Truvía®)
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup molasses
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp cayenne powder
- 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
Replace red wine vinegar with another version such as apple cider.
For more heat, add your favorite chilies or ground peppers.
Serving Size: 2 Tbsp
Yield: Makes 20 servings
- Sauté onion and garlic in butter in medium saucepan.
- In a separate small bowl, stir together the remaining ingredients.
- Add to saucepan; simmer for 30 minutes. For thinner sauce, reduce cook time, and for thicker sauce increase cook time.
- For best results, refrigerate overnight before use.
*Please consult online conversion chart, as conversions vary by brand