ITALIAN BUTTERMILK CUSTARD
- ¾ cup 2% milk
- ¾ cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1¼ tsp powdered gelatin
- 1 Tbsp + 1½ tsp of a stevia-based sweetener* (like Truvía®)
FRESH BERRY MEDLEY
- ½ cup raspberries
- ½ cup blueberries
- ½ cup strawberries
- ¼ of a vanilla bean
- 2½ tsp of a stevia-based sweetener* (like Truvía®)
Serving Size: ½ cup
Yield: Makes 4 servings
- Pour the milk into a small pot. Sprinkle the gelatin on top, whisk, and allow the mixture to sit for 3 minutes, so that the gelatin can soften. Whisk in the stevia-based sweetener (like Truvía®). Place the pot on the stove over medium heat. Whisk frequently until the milk is slightly hot and the gelatin has melted. Do not bring the mixture to a boil.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Whisk in the buttermilk.
- Pour the custard mixture into 4 small ramekins; about 3–4 oz. in size each.
- Place in the refrigerator and allow 3 hours to set, or leave in overnight.
- If fresh raspberries and blueberries are not available, or in season, you can substitute more strawberries. Prepare the berries right before serving. Gently rinse berries, and quarter the strawberries. Place the berries into a bowl.
- Split the vanilla bean open. Using the back of a knife scrape the black seeds out of the vanilla pod. Place the vanilla seeds into a small bowl with the stevia-based sweetener (like Truvía®). Rub between your fingers until the stevia-based sweetener (like Truvía®) and vanilla are well blended.
- Pour the stevia-based sweetener (like Truvía®) mixture on top of the berries and mix for 1 minute, by hand, or with a spoon, until the berries are well coated and begin to release their juices. Spoon equal portions of the berries, and their juice, on top of the buttermilk custards, and serve.
*Please consult online conversion chart, as conversions vary by brand